Thoughts on Prov. 31:27


Idleness means "indolence".

The definition of this word from the Webster's 1828 dictionary I thought was very interesting...


"Indolence"..."Habitual idleness; indisposition to labor; laziness; inaction or want of exertions of body or MIND, proceeding from love of ease or aversion to toil...."

I read a chapter last night from Elizabeth George's book...and I think I'd have to disagree with her.

She spoke on Prov. 31:27... "She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness."

It seemed as if she was saying that we should constantly be busy... I felt totally in a "whirl" by the time I finished reading her chapter...and "stressed out" just reading her thoughts! :)

I don't think we should be lazy...and I think we should do our work and keep our houses neat and clean and always be busy doing constructive things, but I thought it was interesting that the definition also includes the "mind". Just because we are not up sweeping floors and washing walls all day long does not mean that we are lazy. Reading and meditating on scripture, sharing good things with others.... can be a good thing....and I don't think this is "idleness", but I think some people might think so. I know some people who are always on the go....and rarely take a moment to relax..or to meditate much at all.


All things in moderation... :)

No comments: